sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Laurent Wandrebeck <low AT mren2.univ-littoral.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:41:30 +0100

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:48:49 -0800
Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:

> So i just installed the new iso, here are some things I noticed:
>
> I setup my static networking complete with gateway, but for some reason
> my the boot scripts dont add the route.
will look into it.

> Theres _way_ too much stuff on the installed system. We've gone down
> this road before.
>
> is cpio really necessary? Apparently its sustained, but why?
>
> flex and bison are also installed and sustained for no apparent reason.
>
> autoconf/automake/libtool are all unnecessary.
for all sustained things, i think hgg gave a good reason.

> is lvm really needed?
we can't add features (raid support for example) without adding needed
tools.

> sysklogd is not necessary IMO, we've talked about this before...
yes, already talked, you can dispel it to use another one after install if
you want.

> do glib and popt really need to be installed also?
glib is needed by xdelta, popt by raidtools.

> The architecture optimize menu is missing the architecture part, its
> just the compile options, and the settings didnt appear to carry over
> to the installed system.
will look in to it.

> Otherwise, I think things look good. I still contend that we include
> some documentation with the system, perhaps a quick wrap-up in the motd.
a install guide will appear in pre3.
about unecessary spells, i'll try to find a way to automagically dispel
these if user do not, for example, use raid, or jfs or whatever could be
dispelled (and don't ask to dispel sustained spells, this is only for
spells that can be simply dispelled - sysklogd will stay in too:)
regards,
--
Laurent Wandrebeck irc nick: low
GNU/Linux user #114549