sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Laurent Wandrebeck <low AT mren2.univ-littoral.fr>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:08:37 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Laurent Wandrebeck wrote:
> sysklogd is imho necessary just in case something goes wrong...how would
> you do if, a apparently correctly configured device doesn't work without
> any logger ? suppose it's your network device, you can't browse the web to
> install a logger...good luck. that's one the reasons for the logger
> presence. a second one would be a bit of security. a minimal system
> doesn't mean to me a blind one.

If someone has the knowledge to check the logs, they should be able to run
the network tools themselves with verbose output. Or perhaps we could add
a -v (verbose) switch to the ifup/ifdown scripts.

I understand your desire to have a logger by default, but forcing a
particular logger on a user, even if it is only until they can dispel and
cast their preferred logger is a bad idea. It'll leave the /var/log
directory cluttered with sysklogd's logs if the new logger uses different
log filenames or directory structure (ie metalog). If it is decided a
logger *must* be installed, each of the loggers source/dependencies could
be included in /var/spool/sorcery in image.tar.bz2 and the installer
could prompt for one to cast.

-casey