sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>, Laurent Wandrebeck <low AT mren2.univ-littoral.fr>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:18:48 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:36:16PM -0800, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
[snip]
> Why do I think xdelta is bad? It's relatively unmaintained, and it has
> no bzip2 support. No bzip2 support is the killer for me. If we do use
> xdelta, we should ignore the built-in tar.gz support and do the delta on
> .tars (the delta itself would be gzipped, of course, for transit). I
> was going to consider just doing diff/patches, but since most version
> bumps rename the main directory the files are in, diff -Nuar on the
> directories would be ... useless, unless we could work around that with
> custom coding. Getting useful bzip2 support put directly into xdelta
> would be really nice, too, but I think it's non-trivial (but a better C
> coder than I could certainly take a shot at it).

I thought xdelta was a true binary diff that wouldn't need to support
file formats. If i was mistaken with that, there _is_ a real binary diff
named zidrav [0]. It's real purpose is to repair files that got
corrupted during a transfer, but if i remember correctly (it's been some
time since i used it) it could be used for the same purpose as xdelta.

[0] http://sourceforge.net/projects/zidrav

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video