sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Laurent Wandrebeck <low AT mren2.univ-littoral.fr>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 0.8.0-pre2 iso
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:39:16 +0100

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 12:05:01 -0800
Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com> wrote:

> this argument falls through because you could do the same thing with
> anything and just say that it could be dispelled on install. Are we
> going for a minimal system on install or not?
sysklogd is imho necessary just in case something goes wrong...how would
you do if, a apparently correctly configured device doesn't work without
any logger ? suppose it's your network device, you can't browse the web to
install a logger...good luck. that's one the reasons for the logger
presence. a second one would be a bit of security. a minimal system
doesn't mean to me a blind one.

> > > do glib and popt really need to be installed also?
> > glib is needed by xdelta, popt by raidtools.
> do we support xdelta right now?
xdelta is a feature supported by sorcery, so needed by it. anyway no
xdelta patches are available. and before you ask "why don't you get rid of
it ?" i answer, no patch at _all_ for the iso, if you want xdelta to
disappear from iso, ask sorcery team to delete xdelta code, making then
xdelta and glib useless, then it'll disappear from iso :)

> perhaps you could have a menu at the end of the installer to get rid of
> useless stuff? Or conversly keep the image.tar.bz2 small and then ask
> what stuff the user wants/needs then that stuff could be unpacked
> from cached copies, and the appropriate line could be added to
> /var/state/sorcery/packages
there is no cached copies. i was simply thinking of a menu where user
would choose functionnalities he wants...so we know which optionnal spells
are useless. then dispel them. making the install system as small as
possible/useable.
laurent
--
Laurent Wandrebeck irc nick: low