sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] p4 / cvs / alternate servers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] p4 / cvs / alternate servers
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:41:56 -0700

Quoting Geoffrey Derber <gderber AT sourcemage.org>:
> Actually, why don't we try doing this another way. People for months
> have been requesting for scribe to update through cvs update or
> anonymous p4 sync. Why don't we set up scribe to handle that? We've
> got a perfect test scenario already. In a way then, we get the best of
> both worlds.
>
> Geoff

I like this idea better than posting a devel tarball, but I also wonder (as
has
been mentioned by Dufflebunk) about the load this may put on the P4/CVS
server?
Would it be too much bandwidth? Too much CPU load? Perhaps the easiest way
would be to just post the devel tarball to codex.sourcemage.org so that we can
make some people happy (this is, after all, about choice, so if people want
the
devel tarball, we should provide it) and not overload our development servers.

Also, with the cvs/p4 method, people could subscribe to test and stable, then
we'd have somewhat rsync capability (btw, has anyone setup an rsync server on
codex.sourcemage.org yet? That'd be kind of nice as well) for those whom
don't
want to download everything, just the changes.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61