sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:38:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Seth Woolley wrote:

> The networking stuff is almost required unless one has it by default not
> built but included in /var/spool/sorcery. Kind of an extra level of
> complexity if we are going to automate it.

I'd vote for including source in the spool for any of the non-essential
networking stuff.

> The compiling tools like auto*, libtool, and nasm... I would expect them
> to come up quite a bit. I think they should be there. sysklogd for
> security reasons I'd like to include by default. At least one standard
> system logger. It can be dispelled but I would highly suggest against it.

I understand the importance of having a logger, but for those of us that
use a different logger (metalog or syslog-ng) have to dispel, cast and
clean up any logs left around. I don't think the init system really
requires it, it'll just spit out a bunch of errors when it can't find the
'logger' program. Why not leave it off, and let users choose their own.
All three could even be included in /var/spool/sorcery.

<snip>

My preference would be to include the absolute bare minumum in the
image.tar.bz2. Then include source for the remaining basesystem
requirements. Finally include source for stuff that can be essential,
depending on the user (*fsprogs, pcmcia_cs, dhcpcd, etc).

-casey