sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robin Cook <rcook AT wyrms.net>
  • To: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • Cc: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:12:54 -0500

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 03:29, Andrew wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 12:50:49AM -0700, Seth Woolley wrote:
> >
> > The networking stuff is almost required unless one has it by default not
> > built but included in /var/spool/sorcery. Kind of an extra level of
> > complexity if we are going to automate it.
>
> the old iso had it in /var/spool/sorcery but also asked about it...
> It doesnt seem like too much extra complexity, just a menu somewhere
> do you need dhcpcd? (for dynamic ip addresses)
> do you need pcmcia-cs? (are you using pc cards?)
> do you need rp-pppoe? (do you use pppoe)
>
> whatever questions are answered yes equate to a cast, pretty simple
> unless theres something im missing.

Maybe if they are there in the sorcery cache precompiled and install it.
I would hate to have to compile something during an install. I also
dislike compiling more that needed, so if some are like me, one would
prefer to do scribe update and then do the sorcery rebuild to recompile
with the newest versions, then they would need the networking installed
to be able to do so. Also right after someone did and install and they
do a "cast -r -c linux" and wanted to rebuild with a newer kernel they
would also need the networking available.

> The sources should exist in /var/spool/sorcery on the image, but i dont
> see a reason to have them installed too.

A balance/compromise needs to be struck between as minimal as possible
and what someone might reasonably expect from a freshly installed iso.
And to me networking is something that should reasonably be expected in
a source distribution that downloads the sources before compiling. Even
though I have no need for dhcp myself I would expect it to be there for
those that do.

> > I won't argue that xfs/e?fs/reiserfs tools are not needed. I
> > would expect them on the iso if it is to work as a rescue disk.
> the fs tools should stay on the iso, but seem unnecesary on the image. One
> solution would be to remember what file systems the user formatted and
> install only the corresponding fstools. Just an idea.

Are we still doing the one large tarball for the image? If so then it
becomes difficult to do the install of just pieces unless you have the
optional items in the /var/cache/sorcery of the image and extact just
the selected options from that after the image has be installed.

CuZnDragon
Robin Cook