sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:16:14 -0700

I like your cache idea. It speeds things up tremendously.

> > the old iso had it in /var/spool/sorcery but also asked about it...
> > It doesnt seem like too much extra complexity, just a menu somewhere
> > do you need dhcpcd? (for dynamic ip addresses)
> > do you need pcmcia-cs? (are you using pc cards?)
> > do you need rp-pppoe? (do you use pppoe)
> >
> > whatever questions are answered yes equate to a cast, pretty simple
> > unless theres something im missing.
>
> Maybe if they are there in the sorcery cache precompiled and install it.
> I would hate to have to compile something during an install. I also
> dislike compiling more that needed, so if some are like me, one would
> prefer to do scribe update and then do the sorcery rebuild to recompile
> with the newest versions, then they would need the networking installed
> to be able to do so. Also right after someone did and install and they
> do a "cast -r -c linux" and wanted to rebuild with a newer kernel they
> would also need the networking available.
>
> > The sources should exist in /var/spool/sorcery on the image, but i dont
> > see a reason to have them installed too.
>
> A balance/compromise needs to be struck between as minimal as possible
> and what someone might reasonably expect from a freshly installed iso.
> And to me networking is something that should reasonably be expected in
> a source distribution that downloads the sources before compiling. Even
> though I have no need for dhcp myself I would expect it to be there for
> those that do.
>
> > > I won't argue that xfs/e?fs/reiserfs tools are not needed. I
> > > would expect them on the iso if it is to work as a rescue disk.
> > the fs tools should stay on the iso, but seem unnecesary on the image. One
> > solution would be to remember what file systems the user formatted and
> > install only the corresponding fstools. Just an idea.
>
> Are we still doing the one large tarball for the image? If so then it
> becomes difficult to do the install of just pieces unless you have the
> optional items in the /var/cache/sorcery of the image and extact just
> the selected options from that after the image has be installed.

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |