sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] smgl-0.7-pre1 thoughts
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:47:27 -0700

So i went ahead and installed the smgl-0.7 iso. First of all thanks for
all the work you guys have put into this, from what I gather, a complete
re-write. However I have some concerns.

I noticed that im getting a lot of "Illegal instruction" messages,
this tells me that some things were compiled for a non-amd
processor. Everything in the iso should be runnable by an i386, as
its the lowest common denominator. Namely ifconfig seems to have this
problem. The newly installed system didnt boot up completely, probably
due to the same problem. Apparently other people are having similiar
problems.

There also seems to be a number of stray files poking around in the
image. Namely there are /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-.../3.3.1 and 3.2.3
directories. There are empty rc[0-6S]\.d directories in /etc, some
random file named titi and an init.d.backup directory, presumably left
over from an init system change, theres some spare files in /root that
dont need to be there. There should be as few untracked files and extra
things as possible.

There are some things that im not sure should be installed
initially either, I liked having a very very minimal installation
(basesystem only) and building up from there if i needed to. heres a
list of things im not sure should be there by default:

autoconf
libtool
automake
strace
mktemp
nasm
db
uudeview
slang
dump
jed
elvis
dhcpcd
ppp
rp-pppoe
pcmcia-cs
sysklogd

I admit some of the networking stuff is nice to have around, but does
it really need to be installed by default on the image? I liked being
able to cast dhcpcd if i needed it and pcmcia-cs if i needed to, but my
old amd system will never have pcmcia devices or use pppoe, and the
chances of it using dhcpcd on our static class-c network are pretty slim.

While most of the stuff on there is nice, its not strictly necessary
(one could argue that xfs/reiserfs/e2fs progs are unnecessary also.)

maybe we could have a discussion on the ML about what stays and what goes?

One of the things that I liked about smgl was it came with the absolute
minimum installed so I didnt have to waste my time stripping off things
i didn't want, and every package that was installed was installed for
a reason. (that whole freedom thing).

Anyways, thanks again for all the effort.
I'll be happy to help test things.

Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt AT sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot AT t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl, Porting Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |