sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:27:03 +1200

Hamish Greig wrote:

Someone correct me if i am wrong but the reason we have multiple grimoires is to provide stability. Contents of stable grimoire are KNOWN to work in combination with each other. How would version dependancies be sorted out with a STABILITY system ?
IE. If stable grimoire mozilla needs gtk+2 2.4.2 then that is the GTK+2 version in stable. If mozilla 1.5 needs gtk+2 2.4.9 how does a stability rating help this ? Stability that is reliant on so many other other packages cant be quantified so simply IMHO.

Good point and you are right versioning may solve this problem.

Spells could migrate to stable quickly after extensive testing, including updated dependancies if needed(once again after extensive testing) and the end-user would have a choice of whether to upgrade all 5 needed spells or to wait until a larger update is necessary.It is ALWAYS possible to refuse to cast a spell if you are happy with your current setup. but if you DO choose to update then all dependancies should be met.
Feedback from users will become crucial in this so please sharpen your pencils and get into this thread!

I guess one way to get the ball rolling is to have a simple/basic feedback system. This would include the userid, cpu architecture, which grimoire used, a list of spell installed with version numbers and maybe the failed spells. We could sumbit these manually and generate stats from all the reports.

So I guess we need something to generate the report and something to collate the reports. I may have a play around. Any suggestions?

After we get these reports we can decide how to use the data.

Duane.