sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:39:09 -0700

On Thursday 10 July 2003 07:48 pm, Hamish Greig wrote:

> Having tinderboxes dedicated to rebuilding the grimoire with an update
> between each rebuild would help this but i don't have the hardware to
> dedicate for this (unfortunately).

Since I'm not /exactly/ sure what a tinderbox is/does, I may be off base
here,
but on the assumption that it is basically a machine which simply goes
through the entire grimoire (all grimoires?) and casts each and every spell,
there is still the high possibility that there will be bugs that will be
undetected. Many of the spells have weird or complicated dependencies that
may not show any problems during an automated cast.

Also, dependencies may be installed for one spell and not removed that are
needed for another spell which does not include them. That bug would not
show up, 'cause the packages were installed by a previous spell.

I don't think it's a bad idea, but I do think it will need some serious
thought and hand-holding until whoever is doing it is fairly certain that
most (if not all) of those odd situations will be found.

Now I think I need to stop trying to reply to e-mail and go to sleep.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)