sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Matysik <thomas AT matysik.co.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:22:31 +1200

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:33:51 -0400
"Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com> wrote:

> Which brings us (almost) to what we have now: devel and stable
> grimoires, but not quite. The problem of two grimoires is that spells
> have the same names in both, so whichever grimoire is first in the
> list wins. To change that, we have to create a single grimoire and
> provide an option of stable/unstable in one and the same grimoire.

Why not just modify Sorcery so that if there's an identical spell in more
than one grimoire, it gives the user a choice of which one to install? Of
course it'd need to also store which grimiore it used for that spell, so that
it picks the right one for updates. Ideally users should be able to switch
between them at a later date just by doing "cast -r -c spell" and selecting a
different one. As far as I can see, this would make the seperate
stable/devel grimoire system work pretty much perfectly.

As for the idea in another email about user feedback... I would be in favour
of a spell (not installed by default... but recommended during ISO install)
which sends system details (optimisations, etc) on successful (and
unsuccessful) casts.

--
Thomas Matysik
Head Geek