sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:19:05 +1200

Again I'm saying things that may stir emotions, be it good or bad emotions. I sent this yesterday but I couldn't find it in the mailing list.

If we create a STABILITY tag in the DETAILS file then we can remove the stable, testing, devel grimoires. It's basic use will have it set to stable, test, or devel. I think it would be more advantageous to give it a percentage, let's call it a stability factor. The great thing is this stability factor can be set using a user feedback system or by the gurus. The feedback system may work like so. Everytime, a user casts a spell the details about whether the cast succeeded ot failed is appended to a report file. The user can then choose to submit this report to sourcemage, where sourcemage uses it to generate stability factors for spells. Here is an example of how it may work:

There are three mozilla spells:
mozilla-1.2: 99 out of it's 100 users have cast is successfully, therefore STABILITY=99
mozilla-1.3: 800 out of it's 1000 users have cast is successfully, therefore STABILITY=80
mozilla-1.4: 300 out of it's 500 users have cast is successfully, therefore STABILITY=60

If I have set my stability level to 75 then when I cast mozilla it will cast mozilla-1.3 and not mozilla-1.4 until it's stability level has increased above 75.

I can choose to force a cast of mozilla-1.4 before its stability factor reaches 75. The result of this cast will get added to the report which I will submit to sourcemage, which would increase it's stability factor if successful. I could also manually add to the report whether it's usable even though I was able to cast it. For example, I cast mozilla 1.4b the other day, the spell cast OK, but I couldn't use mozilla it was missing the mail client, reply windows, etc...

I am interested in criticisms, ideas on improvements, etc from others.

This idea is similar to my previous one about including a SECTION tag. I don't understand why we physically group spells together.

Duane.