sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • To: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • Cc: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:05:15 -0500

Geoffrey Derber wrote:

Than the first question should be, why current system of devel/test/stable grimoires doesn't solve this? Maybe instead of pushing from devel to test every week or two, we have to establish some kind of a "signal" in a spell as to whether it's ready to go into test/stable? And that wouldn't be just a section guru's call, but something like "three successful" installs. If sorcery would send back (non-private) information that such and such spell has just succeeded installing (or group such messages into packages to send all of it at once), our "back-end" would push the spell into test after three successful reports?

I personally look at it as how well tested the current spell with the current version of the software is working with our setup, ie sorcery with all the configuration possiblities that we support. Even the "three successful" installs method would not prevent something like only the stable version software reaching the stable grimoire. In fact, I think that might speed up the movement of development version software into the stable grimoire.

Geoff

I think a slightly better explaination might be:
devel = development spell, not development version of the software the spell install
test = tested spell
stable = stable spell

Geoff