sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • Cc: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel / stable versions
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:19:08 +1200

Hi,

In regard to recent posts I thought I might share my dreams of the ideal Sourcemage world. Feel free to destroy some of my dreams. I have played around with gentoo and sorcerer and this is where I get some ideas from. These ideas are not important so read on only if you are interested/curious.

I think a more effective user feedback system would have potential. Currently, the movement of a spell from devel to test and test to stable is determined by a small number of persons where there decision for the movement is based on there experience and activity in the mailing list. Imagine a feedback system where everytime someone does a sorcery update, a report is generate based on cast failures and successes. These reports are collated and each spell is given a stability value, a simple example is the percentage of successful casts. The user would set the percentage success level thay are willing to have installed.

This mean we have to support a number of versions of each spell. The number of versions we support depends on the number of users from the feedback reports using those spells. So for example we would support mozilla 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4. let's say from the feedback 30 users use mozilla 1.2 and 30 have cast successfully, 2000 users use 1.3 off which 1990 cast sucessfully, and 1000 users installed mozilla 1.4 of which only 500 cast successfully. Therefore, mozilla 1.2 has a stability factor of 100% and 1 % of our users use it, mozilla 1.3 has a stability factor of 99.5% and 66% of our users use it, mozilla has a 50% stability factor and 33% of our users use it. So we stop supporting mozilla 1.2 because <1% users. I have set the stability factor on my PC to 75% so it won't install mozilla 1.4 until it has a stability factor of 75% or greater.

Two quick point, users can actively install mozilla 1.4 even if it's SF is lower than 50%. This would feedback through the system and increase the stabilty factor of mozilla 1.4 if it works. The user can also manually lable a spell as usabilty to fail if the spell successfully casts but cast be used properly. And maybe include a comment on how it failed.

This is kind of close to home, I use the test grimoire and I did a fresh install and mozilla 1.4 casts OK but I can't reply emails, can't start up mail from the browser (no icon or option under window menu). So now I'm stuck I'm thinking of going back to mozilla 1.3. I'm using a windows machine to reply this. This feedback can't be recorded in a quantitative manner.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Duane.