sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Doubletwist <doubletwist AT spack.nu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Wyatt Draggoo <wyatt AT draggoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:14:59 -0600

Wyatt Draggoo wrote:

Maybe we should find out if we should switch the default to disc instead of
part. I have *never* put LILO on anything but the MBR, and have to change
it during the install every time. If the majority of the folks installing
SMGL are the same, we could change the default lilo.conf, and add a notice
saying we did so to the installer.

Actually this may be a Bad Idea(tm)...
While for YEARS I had no problem using lilo on the MBR, that all changed with WinXP.
If I have WinXP and the install linux and use lilo in the MBR, it hoses my WinXP partition.

It may have something to do with the way WinXP partitions the disk. I remember reading somewhere about the fact that when DOS partitioned the disk, it didn't start on the first sector. It left the first cylinder empty. In addition to the MBR, things like Lilo use that first cyl.
Some non-MS OSes may not leave that cyl open, and it's possible [not sure though] that with XP, windows has started to use that as well. [Possibly on purpose, who knows].

Anyway, I think the best option would be for a menu item to choose if the user wants it installed in the MBR or on a bootable linux partition, with good descriptions of the pro's and con's of each.

DT