sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Doubletwist <doubletwist AT spack.nu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:30:21 -0600

Eric Sandalle wrote:

I've had no problems with LILO+WinXP on my laptop (Dell), and on my main
(a.k.a. gaming) machine, GRUB+WinXP works fine as well. However, a friend
of mine couldn't get either LILO _or_ GRUB to work on his laptop (Compaq),
not sure if it had something to do with WinXP or not, but we're going to
try again this semester.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

Actually, I remember what the problem was now.
If I have WinXP on one partition, then Linux on the next it's fine if I use lilo in the MBR.

But I had a repeatable problem where if I had TWO WinXP NTFS partitions [one for the system the second for data], and then installed lilo in the MBR, it would totally hose the second NTFS partition.
Luckily I was able to recover the data with a wonderful program called Restorer 2000 Pro.
They saved my butt multiple times! [Thought I had screwed something up, re-installed XP with a second NTFS partition again, and AGAIN lilo hosed the second NTFS partition]

Anyway, don't know really what caused it. so now, I don't use a second NTFS partition.

DT