sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 18:39:10 -0800

On Thursday 16 January 2003 06:30 pm, John T Copeland wrote:
> I don't agree with placing lilo in the MBR. I never do. I have a
> primary booter, BootMagic from Power Quest in the MBR. lilo has
> problems booting multiple Linux partitions(it seems to want all the
> kernels in one partition, /boot, and the first one it sees. maybe a
> bug). Also, boot PC-DOS, Win2K, and even RedHat.
>
> If one only uses Linux, and only one partition of Linux, lilo in the MBR
> is AOK.
>
> Whatever we do, we should do a very good job of explaining what is going
> on with lilo and booting during the install. This is a very confusing
> issue with many people, especially newbies. If one understands lilo,
> linux, etc and is experienced, lilo presents no problems.
>
> JohnC
>
> Adam Clark wrote:
> >Hey Wyatt,
> >
> > [ S N I P ]

I, too, never put LILO in the MBR, because I, too, use a different boot
loader. If this can be changed around easily enough, why can't we (the
general all of us we, not the you and I we :^)) just give people the option
of choosing between MBR and /boot, especially of we are going to look at
giving people the option of choosing between LILO and GRUB.

--
Jason Flatt
Section maintainer for printer