sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT sourcemage.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updated ISO
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:29:20 -0800

Quoting Wyatt Draggoo <wyatt AT draggoo.com>:

> > Out of curiosity, is this option even necessary? Ie, if, after doing the
> > kernel install, you go and edit lilo.conf (which the menu option presents
> > you with) and you put in the appropriate 'disc' instead of 'part',
> doesn't
> > that re-do the MBR properly? If it does, is this something that should
> be
> > made clearer in the install guide?
> >
> > If not, why not?
> >
> > Obviously, I'd like to try and curb this kind of problem.
>
> Maybe we should find out if we should switch the default to disc instead of
> part. I have *never* put LILO on anything but the MBR, and have to change
> it during the install every time. If the majority of the folks installing
> SMGL are the same, we could change the default lilo.conf, and add a notice
> saying we did so to the installer.

OK, I have gone back again and re-reinstalled, and when I put disc in plac
(with the latest ISO) it tells me that /devices/whatever does not exist. In
fact, this has been the case for me for a while and I have always had to
put /dev/hda1 instead. But even after doing that, it doesn't boot.

I don't mind having to install a dozen or so times on this machine, so I am
open to more ideas and/or new updates.

Oh, there is a small typo in the installer. When you select "Reconfigure
LILO" at the bottom, the info section says" ... run-run /sbin/lilo" instead
of
re-run.

--

Eric Womack