sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Multiple SGML on one pc

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Macolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: SM-Discuss <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Multiple SGML on one pc
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 09:13:22 +1300

Hi,

This is a bit off the topic of bugs and problems but it gives us an oppotunity to think kind of sideways a little.

I use my pc for work and to play around with linux. Unfortunately, when playing around with linux I sometimes screw my pc over and can't work. So I have been thinking alot about how to setup my computer so I work and play without jeopardizing each other.

This is what I have come up with (HD = 80GB):

Primary partition 1 (10GB): work partition using the stable tree of SGML
Primary partition 2 (20GB): home partiton
Primary partition 3 (30GB): backup partition
Primary partition 4 (10GB): play partition 1 using stable tree of SGML
Extended partition 5 (10GB): play partition 2 using devel tree of SGML

I will use partition 5 to play with linux and test new spells.
I will use partition 4 as my stable play partition and will run "sorcery system-update" on to ensure there are no problems before updating partition 1. I had a problem two days ago where I couldn't work yesterday because I did a "sorcery system-update" and pango wouldn't play nice. This would provide a way around this problem. I could also use this partition to test fresh installs if need be.
I will rsync partition 1 and partition 2 to the backup partition.

I was wanting advice on improvements and other peoples experience. This issue must have been thought about in the past and there is probably a "best" way to do this.

Cheers, Duane.