sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] pcmcia doesn't work

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Pierre Abbat <phma AT webjockey.net>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] pcmcia doesn't work
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:59:22 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Monday 09 December 2002 14:39, Casey Harkins wrote:
> > As long as I've been using pcmcia on Linux (~2 years), I've had this same
> > problem. It seems to be fairly random. Try removing the PCMCIA device and
> > plugging it back in. Once every 10 times or so, the card is identified as
> > a memory device rather than whatever the card really is.

Do you have a syslog daemon running? If you're running syslog-ng, you
should be able to see them in /var/log/messages, or if you're running
metalog they'd be in /var/log/everything/current.

If you don't have a syslog daemon running, then you're likely going to
have problems casting one until your PCMCIA net device gets detected
correctly!

> I pull it out and put it back in and it doesn't seem to recognize it as
> anything. Nothing comes out of the speaker. Where are pcmcia's logs going?

Sounds like pcmcia is either crashing or hanging on something. It should
beep when a card is inserted, then a good or bad beep when the card is
configured or something bad happens, and beep again when the card is
removed (if no error occurred in configuring it).

Let me know if you have a syslog daemon running, and if so what the pcmcia
messages in those logs are saying.

-casey