sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Multiple SGML on one pc

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Duane Macolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Multiple SGML on one pc
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:58:50 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Duane Macolm wrote:
> Dufflebunk wrote:
>
> >A global /boot might be a good idea, depending on if you'll be playing
> >with different kernels, then you can easily use lilo to boot to all of
> >your various systems.
> >
> I would anticipate using different kernels. For example, a new kernel
> would be in the SGML-devel before SGML-stable. In this case would a
> global /boot would be a good idea. In the past I have had a /boot in
> each partition which required a copy of all kernels on the system in
> each /boot for lilo to work properly. I guess I would make this an
> extended partition.
I would personaly keep a single /boot, but you will have to rename kernels
to things like vmlinubz-test1-2.4.10 and vmlinubz-stable-2.4.19, and not
use the kernel the linux spell makes.

> >A (arguably) better way is to use something like VMWare, so you'll be able
> >to have the testing systems booted at the same time and there's no need to
> >reboot.
> >
> VMWare doesn't have source and is propriety software. I think I would
> prefer to reboot into each tree/partition, this way there is no chance
> of destroying my work partition while playing around with SGML-devel
> through VMWare. If need be can I do this by using "chroot"?
Yes, it is non-free (by any definition). Using VMWare though, you won't
destroy your stuff... vmware runs a virtual computer... it's kinda weird.
But very safe.
There is also 'bochs' I think the project name is. Perhaps someone else
knows more about this possiblity?
At least one person has set up test systems in a chroot. There is some
info on this on the wiki. Again, can anyone else fill in the limits of
such a chrooted system?

> I would be replacing my swap partition with a swap file, is there any
> difference/pros/cons with usinga swap file instead?
The same swap partition can be used by every system image you have. Why
would you want a swap file?
A swapfile can be fragmented, and does live in a file system which might
slow it down a (very) tiny bit.

> >On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Duane Macolm wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>This is a bit off the topic of bugs and problems but it gives us an
> >>oppotunity to think kind of sideways a little.
> >>
> >>I use my pc for work and to play around with linux. Unfortunately, when
> >>playing around with linux I sometimes screw my pc over and can't work.
> >>So I have been thinking alot about how to setup my computer so I work
> >>and play without jeopardizing each other.
> >>
> >>This is what I have come up with (HD = 80GB):
> >>
> >>Primary partition 1 (10GB): work partition using the stable tree of SGML
> >>Primary partition 2 (20GB): home partiton
> >>Primary partition 3 (30GB): backup partition
> >>Primary partition 4 (10GB): play partition 1 using stable tree of SGML
> >>Extended partition 5 (10GB): play partition 2 using devel tree of SGML
> >>
> >>I will use partition 5 to play with linux and test new spells.
> >>I will use partition 4 as my stable play partition and will run "sorcery
> >>system-update" on to ensure there are no problems before updating
> >>partition 1. I had a problem two days ago where I couldn't work
> >>yesterday because I did a "sorcery system-update" and pango wouldn't
> >>play nice. This would provide a way around this problem. I could also
> >>use this partition to test fresh installs if need be.
> >>I will rsync partition 1 and partition 2 to the backup partition.
> >>
> >>I was wanting advice on improvements and other peoples experience. This
> >>issue must have been thought about in the past and there is probably a
> >>"best" way to do this.
> >>
> >>Cheers, Duane.

PGP public key at
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3327A9A5