sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] problems with mtab
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:15:34 -0500

Casey Harkins wrote:

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Nick Jennings wrote:

The init.d spell is becoming a catch-all for things, at the moment, by
default. There are some loose cannon's in this, it appears. I have
gotten reports from many people on this who have the symlinks, and it
may be from a particular iso, at the moment, my thought is how to
correct it.

Hmm. I think it may be a better move to keep init.d's purpose very
specific to init organization, and make another spell which keeps
track of the very basic files needed in a sourcemage system.

I agree. What happened to using a basesystem spell for all of the basic
structure? Ideally, every file on a fresh install should be tracked by
sorcery. I see a basesystem spell in the grimoire, but the SOURCE* vars
are all commented out.

No one was working on the basesystem spell is what happened. If someone had worked on it, there would have been more done.

In fact, it might be better to break this down even further. There should
be one spell to setup the "/dev" directory, one spell for init.d (which we
already have), one spell for "/etc", and one spell (basesystem?) to hold
the basic directory structure.

Modular control is a good idea.

That way if I hose my /dev directory, I can cast 'basesystem-dev" or
something to get it back.

Now, that would be lovely. I think you would use it when you end up booting off a rescue cd to repair things, but that would be a cool thing indeed.

Actually, that would be a good idea for the rescue cd. I wonder if that was what Ryan had in mind?

It appears your mtab is a symlink. It really *should* be a normal file
for mount to behave correctly. Please perform the following commands if
you do not want to receive this message again:

# ...<commands>...

I agree. However, we should get this right on the next iso.

Yay!

neal
--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"