sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:23:45 -0800 (PST)

Duane Macolm said:
> So there should be no problem if I set my architecture to i686 for all
> compilations. I guess what I am asking is is there any advantage setting
> the achitecture to pentiumIV over i686 and if so is it worth the
> hassel?
>
> I may try this out with a fresh install on another partition.
>
> Cheers for that tip.
>
> Duane

There is an advantage: pentium4 will add -msse -msse2 -mmmx to your
compilation settings, whereas i686 will only add -mmmx (IIRC). Also, I
believe that only xfree86 fails to compile with pentium4 (that's all I've
noticed so far), so probably just change to i686 for the xfree86
compilation, then set it back afterwards.

Perhaps this should be fixed in the xfree86 spell? if -march=pentium4,
then sedit it to pentium3? I believe pentium3 compiles fine with xfree86,
so you could even put that instead of i686.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214