sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Macolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:51:46 +1300

Mozilla to compiled with -march=pentium4 -O0
Xscreensaver to compiled with -march=pentium4 -O1
Haven't installed Emacs.

Mads Laursen wrote:

On 27/11/02 19.53, bluebird AT optushome.com.au wrote:

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:23:45PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:

Duane Macolm said:

So there should be no problem if I set my architecture to i686 for all
compilations. I guess what I am asking is is there any advantage setting
the achitecture to pentiumIV over i686 and if so is it worth the
hassel?

I may try this out with a fresh install on another partition.

Cheers for that tip.

Duane

There is an advantage: pentium4 will add -msse -msse2 -mmmx to your
compilation settings, whereas i686 will only add -mmmx (IIRC). Also, I
believe that only xfree86 fails to compile with pentium4 (that's all I've
noticed so far), so probably just change to i686 for the xfree86
compilation, then set it back afterwards.

Perhaps this should be fixed in the xfree86 spell? if -march=pentium4,
then sedit it to pentium3? I believe pentium3 compiles fine with xfree86,
so you could even put that instead of i686.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

This sounds like an easy fix, I'll do it over the weekend

Perhaps it would be better to fix the CFLAGS, to not include -O3 for
pentium4. That has worked in several cases for me.
And since this is under discussion, have any other pentium4 users had
trouble with mozilla and emacs (only the x part suffers, strangely)?
(Both work with s/-O3//)

/dossen