sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 02:54:55 +0100

On 28/11/02 09.51, Duane Macolm wrote:
> Mozilla to compiled with -march=pentium4 -O0
> Xscreensaver to compiled with -march=pentium4 -O1
I can also confirm Xscreensaver (although I did it without -O, rather
than with -O1), it needs lower optimizations.

[snip]

I guess the spells need something like this (from my mozilla[1]):

case $ARCHITECTURE in
pentium4) CFLAGS="$( echo $CFLAGS | sed s/-O3// )"
CXXFLAGS="$( echo $CXXFLAGS | sed s/-O3// )"
;;
*) ;;
esac

Or is this issue big enough to justify a general way of doing this?

So far there are 4 spells with this issue.

Maybe a small function to be called like this:

sedit_opts pentium4 s/-O3//

Technically it is a feature, but it needs to be in either spells or
sorcery, and sorcery (some lib of cause) means having only one
instance of the code.

[1] And speaking of features, could that nice little function from
mozillas[2] CONFIGURE script, configure_set_bool, not also be moved to
a library? It's nice, abstracted and well tested (been there a while,
and I know I've played a lot with my mozilla without it causing trouble).

[2] I was playing around with the 1.2 release[3] since you didn't ask.
Just wish the mozilla people would upload sources faster, I've been
playing with the cvs[4] stuff, and some things are just wierd.

[3] Except for svg support and calendar (both of which lacked some
files, due to me using a cvs pull), all apears well, and MathML seems
to work with XFT2 now.

[4] Mozilla cvs is wierd, modules and makefiles and stuff, and just
doing like they tell you to does not give you all that you need.

/dossen