sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] For 1.0 release a question?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] For 1.0 release a question?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:53:49 +0200

> On Friday October 11 2002 15:21, Julian v. Bock wrote:
> Hi

> AvM> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 03:03:28PM +0200, Eric Schabell wrote:
> >> Howdy all!
> >>
> >> Just a note to see what the official line is, but we are going to
> >> have a gcc3.2 compatible grimoire right? No gcc2 spells?
>
> AvM> There seem to still be a lot of spells in the devel grimoire with
> AvM> USEGCC2 files, so that could be a problem. How about removing
> AvM> the dependency on gcc2 in gcc and just have all spells that need
> AvM> gcc2 to compile have a dependency on it? That way the system
> AvM> would be gcc3, only if someone needs a spell that will only
> AvM> compile with gcc2 it will be installed.
>
> This should work since ncurses does not need gcc2 anymore.
> We should double-check the base system though.

I am now going thru the grimoire and making a list... we need to try and get
rid of the gcc2 setup... I think all spells with gcc2 should be dropped if
possible, or moved to z-rejected.... and gcc2 spell can also go to
z-rejected.

I would rather not have guru's having to worry about how to setup spells to
use older compilers... this sort of step (banning them to dark room) will
ensure that the code developers either fix it or lose user base...

Julian, make it the target for rc1 to not support gcc2 (unless we can't get
around our base, which I can't really imagine...)

--
/*
* drs. Eric Schabell