sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:47:25 -0700 (PDT)

Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ said:
> Jon Svendsen said:
>
>> On Sun, 2002-07-28 at 02:50, Eric Womack wrote:
>>
>> First of all, just to get it out of the way, what you are trying to do
>> CANNOT be done. NO WAY. While it is possible to run a linux system on
>> the hardware, you describe, a from-source deployment of bleeding edge
>> stuff like the 2.4 kernel and glibc 2.2 just WILL NOT happen.
>
> You have a needlessly low opinion of pre-pentium x86s.

I agree. Many of these pre-pentium x86 machine work fine as routers,
firewalls, ftp/ssh/etc., DNS, etc. I am also currently planning on
building a cluster out of my pentium 133s sitting around here and any
other machine I can get my hands on (386 and above, anyways).

>> That aside, I cooked up some patches that allows you to select i486
>> optimizations in sorcery. These will let you compile stuff that will
>> actually excute on the box. That's going to be the least of your
>> problems though. The biggest of your problems is going to be that you
>> simply do not have enough space (ram+disk combined), to pull this off
>> at all. So shave wherever you can. strip everything. rm -rf all
>> manpages/docs/<insert useless cruft here>. gcc3 is the guy who KILLED
>> your SISTER. Stay away from him like he was the devil himself, cause
>> he is. Also generally, if it's C++, you can't have it. feel free to
>> build gcc without C++ support just to make sure. (saves you space and
>> build time too)
>
> There should be one for 386 too. Not for any good reason, but just
> because one might as well.
>
> -Phil/CERisE

Remember, we are doing this distribution because we, the SysAdmins (and
just general weirdos ;)) want freedom of choice. I think that if we can
(and we can), we should include the option for 386 and 486. This will not
hurt, in any way (except maybe having to hit the down arrow a few extra
times =)) those whom will not be using those, but will allow us low-enders
to play with SM. ;)

And space isn't much of a matter as we can use tftp/NFS/Coda/etc. to mount
the bigger directories (/usr/, for example) over the network for common
systems (such as my cluster, I can compile the basics for my Pentiums,
then mount /usr on all the pentiums and go from there ;)).

Just my $0.02USD

-One of Three

sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://hellhound.homeip.net/~sandalle | SystAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU