seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Seedkeepers list (long and off-topic)

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Margaret L. Wilson" <booldawgs@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Seed Keepers" <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Seedkeepers list (long and off-topic)
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:57:36 -0700

tonight. It is very unpopulated here which suits me fine. I have pretty
much abandoned my dream of market farming and am just working for
sustainability and feeding family in the future.

Why? No market? or markets with institutionalized protectionism?

In all honesty, I've lost the "fire in the belly" that it takes to work that hard. My partner has his own career that he would like to retire from. My eldest adult son is not ambitious enough, my other son has a career and family and I am too old and cranky :-))) to start a commune. The economic situation may force many of us into group living of some sort. I guess (at this point) I see myself as providing the land, the tools and the knowledge that I have aquired over the years to give my family a safe place where they can eat when the SHTF. At this stage in my life I should be teaching the next generation or writing a book. Ya know the old saying, "Those who can do, those who can't teach" :-)) I hope that doesn't piss off too many actual teachers.

I think the market is here, especially considering the population change in the 6 years that I have been here. When the real estate market was booming in California there was a large influx of wealthy/ comfortable retirees that settled here. As someone who learned gardening in Sonoma County, CA. the produce here is a major disapointment. The nearest farmer's market is 35 miles away in Grant's Pass. Organic produce is available in the local supermarket but it is limited and VERY expensive. I had a list of people interested in a CSA a couple years ago but a bout with breast cancer knocked that into the background. It is hard to get the train running back down the track when it has been de-railed too many times. I guess I am in more of a survivalist mode at this time of my life. I'm tired and discouraged.

I meant Tonka. I had a GMC tilt-cab 5 yard dump truck by that name, or rather it looked
just like one of its toy namesake's. It had the famous V6 305 motor.

I should have guessed. He stops traffic when he is near the road and yes, that's how he got his name. He is adorable and a great little pet. He has a brother just like him. They are the perfect pair for a team of oxen. Tonka is a genetic dwarf Dexter. They are much discouraged in the purist circles. You do have to be very careful if you use them for breeding. If you breed a dwarf to a dwarf you chance some serious problems. But the other side of the coin is that the little, stocky ones practically live on air. You have an animal that produces meat, milk, fertilizer and a draft animal with hardly any input. Heritage livestock, like heirloom plants, need to be cared for and saved from extinction. A team of mini-oxen does not require fuel like a tractor or rototiller. They are much easier to care for than a team of horses or mules. That doesn't even consider the meat, milk and manure that comes from a bovine. If you have room for livestock they are the perfect choice.

Margaret