seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Seedkeepers list

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: p s <jottola@hotmail.com>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Seedkeepers list
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:18:18 +0000

Still here, still lurking (well mostly this is my first post) and enjoying reading posts when I have time.  I have kept out of the discussions also, because the SSE saga is not so relevant for us in Britain.

Growing wild plums (myrobalans) from stones (pits) worked great for me.  Cultivated plums also germinate easily and are generally similar to their parent variety.

I am an avid grower and seedsaver for many vegetable varieties and also save seed for the Heritage Seed Library in Britain.  I like to exchange seeds of the varieties that do best with fellow gardeners and seedsavers.  It is such a wonderful feeling to see plants from seed exchanges growing well in the garden and producing delicious veggies while remembering the seed donors and hoping that the swapped seeds do equally well elsewhere to help keep varieties going.

I was dismayed at the need to change the name of this list and reasons behind that, but love the new name anyway.

Best wishes to all

Jot

> Good show! It'll rebound in time I'm sure. I am planting also
> and can think about plant material for exchange in a month or so.
> The wild plum tree I mentioned earlier is totally covered with blooms this Spring
> so I'll have plenty of seed pits to send out. I'd like to see how well they propagate from seed.
> These trees also send out underground runners to regenerate, just like wild persimmons.
> The everbearing blackberries will be sending up new shoots from the ground. I hope to have at least a
> half dozen of these to swap.
>
> LL

Get fish-slapping on Messenger Play now!