seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Seedkeepers list

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Margaret L. Wilson" <booldawgs@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Seed Keepers" <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Seedkeepers list
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:02:22 -0700

Thanks, it is a beautiful place to live. I wish we would have gotten it when I was about 20-30 years younger. It seems pretty overwhelming at times. It was an old rundown, worn-out ranch that I am trying to make into a farm. We are in SW Oregon, just across the border from California, in the Illinois Valley. I grew up in Colorado and the climate here is more to my liking although we had a hard freeze last night and will have another tonight. It is very unpopulated here which suits me fine. I have pretty much abandoned my dream of market farming and am just working for sustainability and feeding family in the future.

That is Julius, a Dexter bull, one of the coolest animals you could ever meet. He was de-horned before we got him. He would look just like a little buffalo if he had horns. He is the soul of gentleness and gives his disposition and dairy quality to his daughters. Dexters are a very small breed of cattle that originally came from Ireland. They were very rare but are becoming very much in demand as a backyard or homestead cow. I have about 30 cows and 3 bulls.
I haven't updated my blog for months. Just too much to do. I'll try to get some garden pictures on there pretty soon.

Margaret
http://farfarawayfarm.blogspot.com/

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>