seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] May I suggest a simple rule for seed offers/requests?

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] May I suggest a simple rule for seed offers/requests?
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:31:38 -0500

Anders Skarlind wrote:

Folks,
and esp moderator Lawrence,
I suggest a simple rule:
When someone offers or requests seed in an email to the list, reply off-list. We will miss some information but we will also be freed from a lot of talk that only concern the people who are trading seed.

I'd rather not do that but instead go one better:

I appreciate Toni's effort to keep users here and not lose them to other
seedsaver lists
by sharing other forum info offline but in the interest of robust information
exchange I would rather
have as much seed saving info in every possible categoty flow unrestricted
through this forum.
That is how I have always done things myself from the time I first got
Internet access. Not much would
have developed if people hadn't done that, i.e. restock the pool from which
they take sustenance.
We can simply make this the best seedsaving and exchange forum on the web and
work cooperatively with other forums.
Competition is good for business.

A cool way to do things is to have list software that allows subscribers to
embed an RSS feed link in all their posts.
If all seedsaver lists used this software then a reader could just click on another users RSS feed and subscribe to everything that user posts to every forum, and blogs too. If well defined subject headers and their threads could
also have embedded RSS feeds then users could keep up with every post on topics such as Edamame and or posts by specific users on Edamame by way of RSS'ing everything they wrote everywhere or alternately RSS the topic Edamame, across all lists then subselect all posts on Edamame by specific user(s). Of could you can already do much of this with blogs but
they seem somewhat freeform and disorganized. So it would be necessary for the bloggers and he blog host to maintain acurate subject header decriptions, likewise list users - when you change subject of discussion make sure you change the subject header too. This also helps a lot with Google searches which will become increasingly important. The new Firefox3 web brower will have features that emphasize search functionality and options.