permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Earthships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Earthships
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:22:25 -0400

Earthships
https://www.google.com/search?q=Earthships&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk47232JHOAhVPxCYKHXpMCrYQsAQIKg&biw=1366&bih=609

Earthship Biotecture
http://earthship.com/

Earthship
>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthship

40 Incredible Photos Show Why Earthships Make the Perfect Home
Ecowatch
http://www.ecowatch.com/40-incredible-photos-show-why-earthships-make-the-perfect-home-1882045152.html

I like this one, deset right up to the atrium windows:

This interesting one in Haiti suggests a mid Eastern water storage cistern
that also cools aer circulated within adjoining house by way of a wind
tower:

Actually this may be a water tank/cistern. The domed roof distributes
rainfall into the concrete gutter rim around the structure and into the
tank.
I am not sure what purpose the building with the perforated wall serves
unless it is for cooling;maybe there is a spring in there for cooling food
or drink.
There are lots of good eco engineering possibilities with structures like
this, idea for hot, dry climates.

ShotCrete or FerroCement can be used to build any of these buildings.
FerroCement = steel rebar-reinforced high strength/highly waterproof
concrete sprayed or trowled on to the wire and rebar mesh. This a really
good building technique.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 1:14 AM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> I imagine some on the list have implemented water harvesting/recycling or
> other natural techniques, but is anyone living in an Earth ship, which seem
> in theory to fit ideally into the Prermie lifestyle? Could you please tell
> us a bit about building and maintaining one?
> --
> Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/116100117925365792988/+Avantgeared/posts