permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sexual Harassment in PDCs (was Permaculture Invisible Structures..or Irony ?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sexual Harassment in PDCs (was Permaculture Invisible Structures..or Irony ?)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 09:24:13 -0700

Really fascinating and mostly silenced topic. Declan's 'scenario' is a
great thing to look at and think about.

There is no capacity for the Permaculture movement to actually police
anything. I've seen it tried, have participated in attempts, and witnessed
and experienced failure.

If someone alleges sexual assault, or the more fuzzy lines of an unfair
abuse of power where alcohol is involved, the judgement of the situation
ultimately differs back to the laws of the land. As soon as these
situations are brought out of the bubble of a Permaculture course or
gathering, it's the police, lawyers and judges who interpret and decide the
facts. I don't see any capacity within the Permaculture movement to address
sexual harassment in any sort of consistent or universally adopted fashion.
There's too much anarchy in the movement for that.

As an extreme example, I've seen a group of hippies in a town try to
respond to the molestation of one person's child by another member of the
community without involving the police. I have looked back on that
situation many many times over the last 15 years and have regretted not
advocating for involving the law from the very beginning. These were not
"Permies", but I'm just giving an extreme example of where I've seen
unstructured community intervention fail, where people were reluctant to
involve the law when it was beyond our capacity to deal with. If there were
any serious claims of sexual harassment in a course or event that I was
involved in, I would very quickly differ the situation to Johnny Law and
not attempt to manage a situation I am not qualified to.

I would love to see a community be able to handle these situations without
involving the law and follow through long term to reach conclusions,
exercise judgement, heal and punish people, and remedy situations. I just
don't see the Permaculture movement as having the capacity for that.

Sincerely,
Andrew Millison