permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sexual Harassment in PDCs (was Permaculture Invisible Structures..or Irony ?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sexual Harassment in PDCs (was Permaculture Invisible Structures..or Irony ?)
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 14:39:46 -0700

This is an important and complex issue that I think needs to be discussed a
great deal more in open and safe forums. While I personally—even if I were
not monogamously married—would never become romantically involved with a PDC
student (I’ve been hit on by students), and don’t approve of it, the issue of
power imbalance in a PDC is very different than in, say, a college or
high-school. Most PDC participants are mature, sexually experienced adults,
unlike college or younger students, and the teacher has far less sway over
their lives. Maybe I’m naive, but I cannot imagine a PDC teacher implying
that a student would not get a certificate because they wouldn’t have sex,
and that’s just about the only real power a PDC teacher has. There is, of
course, the “charisma/mentor” factor that could be used to be sexually
attractive to students, and that’s been done. But that is a very different,
far less imbalanced dynamic than a professor intimating that you’d get a
better grade or recommendation to grad school if you acquiesced.

And—I am going to name some names here, because I think it is unethical, and
certainly unverifiable, to claim bad behavior without doing so-- Mollison set
an unfortunate precedent in that he had sexual affairs with numerous
students, sending a message to early teachers that it was okay. Plus the
zeitgeist of the eighties, when those early courses were happening, was a lot
more “anything goes” than in more recent years.

To complicate the picture further, Bill married at least two of his PDC
students. I was present for one of these episodes, and in fact the woman
involved, in her late 30s, was clearly the initiator. And I can think of at
least 3 other PDC teachers who married their PDC students and had
long-lasting marriages. Should that have been forbidden? Would the marriages
still have occurred if the adults involved had, say, waited till after the
PDC was over, thus ending the teacher/student dynamic? I do not know the
answer.

In other words, to say “PDC teachers are hitting on their students in an
unfair power dynamic” is not at all an accurate assessment of what goes on.

To be very clear: I am not condoning sexual involvement between PDC teachers
and students; I personally don’t want it to happen, but I think the
“consenting adults” criteria carries a lot of weight. Homosexuality is a
relevant example. I think multiple viewpoints and experiences need to be
heard, and consensed agreements need to be made by the larger community long
before we resort to a top-down imposed rule such as “PINA needs to punish
it.” (I understand that that is not what Ben is recommending, but others
have.)

I would very much like to see a safe, non-accusatory, open discussion of this
issue, in which specific cases were brought up, especially by those involved
in them, and where there is an unprejudiced evaluation of what kind of harm
has been done in the permaculture community by real cases of behavior.

Toby
tobyhemenway.com

Just out: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City. Order it
at your favorite bookseller or get a signed copy from me at
http://tobyhemenway.com/book/the-permaculture-city/