permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The 4th Ethic
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:48:06 -0600

This is an amazing historical discussion, perhaps will morph into a game of
Trivia!

>From 1985 until 1997 the courses I attended and co-taught with Bill stated
the 3rd ethic as "a return of all excess to care of people and the Earth".
I called it the recycling ethic which includes manure, organic waste, money,
old buildings, unused 501c3's and etc.

The problem with the Ethics is that there is so much implicit in them,
depending on your depth of understanding. Actually one ethic would suffice
"care of the Earth" but in order that there was no misunderstanding the
other three were added to make the point. There is no way that "Fair Share"
covers all the bases of the third ethic, and to my mind is lazy pedagogy.

Within the ethics it is obvious that our knowledge is too limited to really
understand them completely. How does one care for the Earth? We don't even
know how most of it functions let alone taking care of those elements. Care
of people is even dicier. Return of all excess leads us into some real
conversations about capitalism and social justice. I agree with David
Holmgren that we also need to make explicit the ethic of population and
consumerism control, which are two main drivers of our dysfunctional
stewardship.

The original "Foundation Yearbook of the Permaculture Academy" was compiled
by B.C. Mollison, I have the 1993 edition and have misplaced my original
copy. The 1993 edition has Bill's name on the cover and is the one we post
on our website www.permaculture.org

Hope this helps clarify.

Scott Pittman

"To change something build a new model that makes the existing model
obsolete" Buckminster Fuller