permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 23:17:58 -0000

Big snip since I have no problems with the rest of the story.
Well, I have no problems with what is below here either only that my experiences from about 1960 were a bit different.
Until about then there was a lot of nature in Flanders but from then on it went fast downhill. Where there were millions of frogs and plentiful fish I remember the water all of a sudden turning red and blue the next day. A carpet factory getting rid of excess dies. And all those animals died leaving a stinking waste behind.
And thousands of roads were build everywhere and the most productive orchards disappeared because all along these roads new houses would go up. Enormous amounts of toxic wastes were buried and then a new town build on top of that. The most fertile soil imaginable and a few thousand small farms were buried under three meters of dredging sand to expand the port of Antwerp and then a nuclear plant build on top of that.
And I can see the same thing happening now in Ireland although a bit slower.
I have been fighting this degradation all my life and I don't think I won a single battle yet.
John

I was 21 in 1960
and the Chinese invasion of Tibet had already happened; the full
meaning, if not even news of as well, along with that of the sad events
in Argentina, Brazil and Chile escaped my friends and I during the
period 1960-1980. None of my closest friend were involved in anything
political during those times. We were musicians, artists, thinkers and
dreamers interested in the teachings of Indian mystics.
I wish I had learned about Tibetan Buddhism then.

LL