permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The people of Tibet need help now - Boing Boing
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:31:12 -0400

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM, John D'hondt <dhondt@eircom.net> wrote:

> 2) .....likely to be next and in the mean time in Israel Palestinians are
> ethnically
> cleansed away wholesale, their few remaining properties sprayed with dung
> slurry by the Israeli army on a regular basis.

.... and with American taxpayer dollars...meanwhile:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/102133440341229405901/posts?cfem=1

Albert Bates <https://plus.google.com/u/0/102133440341229405901>
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/102133440341229405901/posts/avgUYMwfTNz>5:46
PM<https://plus.google.com/u/0/102133440341229405901/posts/avgUYMwfTNz>
-
Public
"Today I biked down to the little shop in this rural, dirt-street Mexican
village and came home with a half-kilo of Queso Oaxaca, one of my favorite
cheeses for snacking when writing. As I was unpacking the cheese, I noticed
it had hebrew letters stamped on it in blue ink, so I looked closer at the
label and it was made in Israel! Queso Oaxaca in Mexico, from Israel!

There is more to this than just the outrageous globalization profanity, or
the absurdly inverse EROIE, or the usual thoughts. One might also think,
"Gosh, those clever Israelis, they can even sell coal to Newcastle. They
must have some innovation that makes their cheese cheaper than the original
Mexican product." Actually, there is no such innovation, any more than
Kraft has created innovative processes for making food-like substances. The
secret ingredient that enables them to outcompete the Mexicans is the USA
taxpayer.

Israel receives so much US money to support its government, military, and
numerous state-supported enterprises (agriculture included), and benefits
of citizenship, that it not only undersells less prosperous countries (and
Mexico is no piker here) but it has bankrupted its own kibbutzim, which
used to number in the thousands and produce most of the food, and most of
the foreign trade income for the country."

Well said, Albert.

LL