permaculture - Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:02:29 -0800

Also of interest is the local suitability of various materials.
We are selling our house now, and it has aluminum siding.
We learned from an electrician friend that stucco was vulnerable to mold while plastic siding (horrors) goes rigid...
Indeed, we had someone looking at our house yesterday that reported that the houses with aluminum siding appeared to be in good shape.
Our house has had zero issues with moisture.
Am looking at the idea of metal, not only for the roof but also for the cladding of a house.
Which brings to mind this neat little link of a tiny house.
Note the sliding shutter for the large window. Shutters (Dave likes to envision a simple, older style home with wooden shutters) are another possibility for climate control.
Definitely worth a look, this 'tiny off grid self sustaining' home in Maine:
http://inhabitat.com/tiny-off-grid-cabin-in-maine-is-completely-self-sustaining/
Fran

-----Original Message----- From: venaurafarm