permaculture - Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 01:46:43 -0500

On 1/3/2013 8:25 PM, Frances and David wrote:
I agree: make the investment up front.

If you don't you may get lower performance and shorter service life meaning reinvestment. Build smaller, more compact, consolidate and integrate resources (like a Japanese home) = far greater energy efficiency, lower heating costs, passive cooling with shading and ventilation.

I guess what comes into the mix is just what is this material that we are
using for insulation? Where does it come from? What is it true cost?

As long as it is non toxic afaiac it does not matter...build with logs, 16"-24" thick walls....install double windows if low-e glass thermopane is not available. Always use metal roofing, prepainted galvanized corrugated steel. Forget shingles of any kind. As I said, build smaller but better; less environmental/carbon footprint. If you can build underground, basement, house partially or completely underground, all the better but waterproofing and moisture problems/mold are significant issues.

I also agree that creating a building that requires much less fuel is a
worthwhile accomplishment; however, what exactly are we using when we use
standard insulation materials?

Doesn't matter as long as they are not toxic. Ethically superior if you build for 200 years durability, smaller, better design, non toxic.

The concrete industry is there to serve you and they are your friends.

and why isn't hemp available?

Not legal.

and what, if anything, can we do to change that?

Ask Norml.

Thanks for the link to archival fodder, L!

Any time.

LL