permaculture - Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 14:46:40 -0800

interesting points all...
just wanted to add that the notion of a central woodstove, as well as a greenhouse that takes advantage of the warmth from the home are all on our 'list'.
not sure of the best position for an attached greenhouse...
What Dave liked about traditional wooden shutters was that you could reach outside and pull them closed at night. I do agree, though, that these seem to go a step further as well as making an allowance for the type of windows we love living with. Imagine being able to have your large windowed house and energy efficient, too. Could use passive solar (if the sign was shining, though even a cloudy day carries warmth in the light) and still close off to the elements at night. The sliding bit is neat (but needs a lot of care) and I am working on visualizing the exact way the edges would 'seal'.
I do have my organic fabrics, my sewing machines and yarns that come as baggage and space takers. Question might become whether to keep them in a separate building (and whether that would allow for any greater efficiency re: heating... Speaking of which, I wonder about our moist moderate climate here, how safe it is to leave things in an unheated building longterm. I've heard it said that there is no risk of mold so long as they are in a building that has proper moisture barrier. And then, if we were away, there is the risk of close to a week long frost.
Thanks for the opportunity to 'think out loud' and, although I certainly don't expect it for every point I make or question I ask, it certainly has been wonderful to have feedback.
Thanks for the conversation,
Frances

-----Original Message----- From: venaurafarm