permaculture - Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] soil science in 77 minutes
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 16:52:34 -0500

On 1/4/2013 2:02 PM, Frances and David wrote:
Also of interest is the local suitability of various materials.
We are selling our house now, and it has aluminum siding.
We learned from an electrician friend that stucco was vulnerable to mold
while plastic siding (horrors) goes rigid...
Indeed, we had someone looking at our house yesterday that reported that the
houses with aluminum siding appeared to be in good shape.
Our house has had zero issues with moisture.
Am looking at the idea of metal, not only for the roof but also for the
cladding of a house.

Good idea; it is cheaper than cedar siding or other wood + mantanance. T-111 is excellent plywood intended for use as siding. Imitation B&B, it installs quickly and lasts a long time; not cheap but good exterior panelling.

Which brings to mind this neat little link of a tiny house.
Note the sliding shutter for the large window. Shutters (Dave likes to
envision a simple, older style home with wooden shutters) are another
possibility for climate control.

Anything to achieve maximum energy efficiency.

Definitely worth a look, this 'tiny off grid self sustaining' home in Maine:
http://inhabitat.com/tiny-off-grid-cabin-in-maine-is-completely-self-sustaining/

That's the one. Build it! Really find small house.

This has features I see as critical: no maintenance siding, i.e. vertical coated metal sheeting and it looks good too; alternative: rot resistant wood (cedar, red cedar) board and batten; large, whole-window sliding "shutters" for extra insulation at night, i.e. sliding exterior wall sections. Plenty of window area for natural lighting; high south-facing clerstory windows for summer ventilation and air circulation. [Wikipedia: In architecture, clerestory are any high windows above eye level. The purpose is to bring outside light, fresh air, or both into the inner space.]; attached sunspace-greenhouse; attached deck; entire house built on piers.

I would include an attached room that was built of stone, with stone or
concrete floor, South facing; redesign the sunspace-greenhouse to have stone walls for thermal mass. Thermal mass anywhere in the house will be important. The center of the house could have an atrum with floor at ground level, made of concrete or stone with stone walls, knee walls and steps; put the main wood stove in this room; benefit from solar gain, light and ventilation in summer.

Insulate this house with rigid foamboard panels and spray on hard setting foam insulation. Forget fiberglass bats or cellulose.

LL