permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in theOldSystem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in theOldSystem
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:03:40 -0800 (PST)

I don't think that ethics always happens naturally, but I think it can happen
gradiently. So Paul, your farmer with herbicides could stop using 1/2 of them
or 3/4 and see that he can survive, and then look at how he could stop using
any. That is a legitimate ethics path, in my mind. I think that permies who
judge him for that have probably never worked with a farmer to get a design
implemented and so are totally unreal about it. The solution would be to get
them to confront a real design and hit the walls they're going to hit and
come out the other end being more real about what it takes to get a true,
regenerative design fully implemented from both a visible and invisible
structure angle.

In McDonaugh's case, I would say that is a slippery slope because there is so
much time spent patting each other on the back for a design that is not whole
systems (as you point out Scott) that they never get around to asking how
they can do it better next time. A few corporations are actually asking the
question of how they can go zero waste, zero fossil fuel energy, and real
fair share and decent working conditions for their employees. It's hard,
because the vast majority in that world don't agree with that game yet. So
the more we can do to popularize the game of being ethical, the better. I try
to make it at least a little bit fun to be ethical because it is.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition