permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE website I have located my old permaculture wiki.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE website I have located my old permaculture wiki.
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:31:41 -0500

On 11/24/2012 9:54 PM, Chris Watkins wrote:
On 25 November 2012 01:00, venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net> wrote:

If you follow many of the active links out you will find a lot of
interesting reading. Would it be worthwhile my asking ibiblio to provide
a Wikidump of this entire wiki and the Agriculture Wiki also?
They could send you copies of these.

Interesting idea... I think we need a different approach, though.

For one thing, it's a different kind of wiki software.

It is phpWiki, with known security holes. I set it up and ran it myself.
It gathered spam constantly and was taken offline.

Now I am more interested in it and wikis in general as a way to deliver information; also ways to integrate wikipages with diverse Google resources, Drive, Sites, Blogger, Groups, Google+, Picasaweb and other things.

Also, Appropedia,
and the permaculture.info wiki which is merging with it, use the Creative
Commons Attribution ShareAlike (CC-by-sa) license, so anything added there
needs to be under that license or something compatible (i.e. CC-by or
public domain i.e. without any copyright).

So, this knowledge can certainly be added to Appropedia, but it will need
to be done manually. Anyone can do it, but please take care - if it's not
your own work, at least paraphrase it so it's not breaching someone's
copyright. Unless it's all the work of a few people and they all agree that
it's okay...?

I know everyone who contributed to it and doubt there would be the slightest objection to repurposing of their data. They are, me, Graham Burnett, Bob Waldrop, Miekal and a few others. If you can use a wikidump to automate integration of the data I will ask for this,
otherwise all of it can be added manually, but that will take time.
How soon can you add the permaculture.info data? When that is done then those of us interested can start adding useful info from my pc wiki.
I seem to have renewed interest in this and wikis in general. If I can get my own mediawiki permaculture site running again I may take a look at developing it, my marketfarming wiki too. I have way more raw info on farming, soil quality, wetlands and bibliographies than I do on any other topic. I would like to see the Appropedia Permaculture page developed thoroughly and completely. I hope this work can begin as soon as possible and volunteers will get busy and develop pages. So much is going on that needs to be recorded and studied.

LL