permaculture - [permaculture] Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE website I have located my old permaculture wiki.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE website I have located my old permaculture wiki.
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:13:41 -0500

Attn: Chris Watkins: The PC Wiki predated the permaculture wiki at
permaculture.info. You might want to add
this to the appropedia permaculture entry for permaculture.info as many of
the same contributors worked on both projects,
not with a link but using the actual data.

Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE I have located my old
permaculture wiki
which contains many pages of interest. The site is locked to prevent more
spam but pages, images, text can be freely downloaded
and repurposed.

Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE
http://www.dreamtimevillage.org/permaculture.html

The following article by Miekal is especially interesting:

Hyper Wilderness / Hyper
Culture<http://www.jackmagazine.com/issue5/ecomand.html>is an essay by
mIEKAL aND written in the late 90's recounting a series of
waking visions about repairing a planet in genetic crisis.
http://www.jackmagazine.com/issue5/ecomand.html
This originally appeared in the book Avant Gardening; Ecological Struggle
in the City and the World
<http://www.autonomedia.org/avantgardening/>edited by Peter Lamborn
Wilson & Bill Weinberg.
http://www.autonomedia.org/avantgardening/

The PC Wiki:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/
HomePage<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/HomePage?action=BackLinks>

-- portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers -- A
Permaculture <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Permaculture>
Knowledgebase <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Knowledgebase>
Open
Permaculture
Project<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Open%20Permaculture%20Project>
Wikipedia
Permaculture entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture Agriculture
Wiki http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/agwiki/index.php/HomePage Our Goal

The Permaculture Wiki has been created to provide a large collection of
information to those practicing,
studying, and interested in permaculture. We hope to develop an extensive *
Library*?<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Library?action=create>of
*Articles*?<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Articles?action=create>on
Permaculture <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Permaculture>,
Ideas <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Ideas>,
*Concepts*?<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Concepts?action=create>,
information on Plants<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Plants>in
Plant
Databases <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Plant%20Databases>,
OrganicGardening<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/OrganicGardening>,
CompostTea <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/CompostTea>,
SoilQuality <http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/SoilQuality>and
*AppropriateTechnology*?<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/AppropriateTechnology?action=create>information.
You can add your own ideas to this resource and help it grow! Let's
DiscussWikiDesignIdeas<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/DiscussWikiDesignIdeas>.

We want to keep this wiki open and accessable to the whole permaculture
community, but there are a few guidelines
that will help keep the information stored here in a readable and organized
fashion:
Browse through
GettingStarted<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/GettingStarted>and
UserPreferences<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/UserPreferences>.

Go to
ContributorPages<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/ContributorPages>and
create a wikipage for yourself to link to from there.
The Potential Of Wikis

A wiki can be like an online dictionary, with some major differences. This
dictionary is defined by the community reading it, and it can be
hyperlinked to items within itself and on the web.
ContributorPages<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/ContributorPages>
<>

I think Richard Morris may have written this entry:
PlantDatabaseWishList<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/PlantDatabaseWishList?action=BackLinks>

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/PlantDatabaseWishList

More ideas for a plant database:
Specification<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Specification>

PlantDatabaseWishList<http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/PlantDatabaseWishList>
USER INTERFACE FUNCTIONALITY (How the Database is Used)

-

Various Methods of Reporting and Downloading Data: I've used other plant
databases before, but my frustration has been in not being able to download
the information I need in a usable format. So much of the information is
geared towards those who are already quite savvy in the plant world. We
need for this infomation to be readily accessible for uses outside of
landscape design. Think of the "edges" where permaculturists creating the
design interact with property owners who know next to nothing about these
new, wonderful plants, or where the database website is used by an 8th
grade teacher to bring new information and perspectives to her students.
These are some of the possible interactions with the data:
- User imports selected fields and records into their own database or
spreadsheet to create detailed yet personalized planting notes
to accompany
a permaculture design.
- Selected photos & their captions (see below) are organized along
with other relevant fields into a report form which fits on a
1/4 page (so
plants per page, using both sides of the paper). This could then
be printed
and cut into a "Care Booklet" to help people to better care for
and benefit
from their plant.
- Photos and audio clips (see below) are selected by educators for a
particular region being studied and are shown as an on-line slide show
or
are downloaded for further educational use.

DATABASE DESIGN (Type of Information Stored) Database Multimedia Fields

-

PHOTOS: Many of these could have a default entry which shows general
guidelines for plants which share that similarity. Each of these photos &
-

Plant Identification
- Seed
- Flower
- Closeups/whole plant
- With/without foliage
- In natural setting
- Distinguishing features (caption mentions characteristics of
other plants which it may be confused for)
-

Plant at Various Stages of Development
- Seedling
- When ready to move out of the nursery
- When budding
- In full bloom
- When ready for pruning
- When ready for harvesting
- When ready for seed collection
- When ready to propagate
-

Plant's Growth Rate
- Size after 1st year
- Size at mid-size (caption states number of years)
- Size when full grown
-

Plant at Various Stages of Health
- Signs of overwatering/underwatering
- Signs of over/under exposure
- Signs of various types of nutritional deficiencies
- Signs of various types of pests & diseases
-

Plant Uses (perhaps a collage of photos showing which parts of the
plants are used and how they are prepared in human use)
- Dyeing
- Weaving
- Spinning
- Medicine making
- Culinary
- Flower essences
- Children's play
- AUDIO CLIPS: Perhaps this would take up too much space, but it
would be wonderful to have 2-5 minute clips giving a high level profile of
the plant, including it's symbiotic relationship with the mineral, plant &
animal kingdom, historical and current day uses by humans, its needs, and
current outlook for survival. Sort of a "sales pitch" on the plant's
behalf.

Database Text Fields

The following is information I would find really useful for my work. Each
field should also have a large comment field attached, as some of these
issues simply aren't that black and white. I have no idea how a plain
database will search those comments. Also, many of these fields have more
than one entry: i.e. flower colour.

-

PLANT IDENTIFICATION
- Botanical Name (aka)(there are quite a few)
- Common Name (aka)(there are usually tons of those)
- Family (helps for identification)
- REGION OF REFERENCE (i.e. Southern Coastal British Columbia - this is
the region to which all of the information below is tied. Somebody from
another region would have to add information to reflect what the plant is
doing there. At some point it would help to know what the climate
conditions in each region are like, but I don't know that we'll ever get
down to microclimate. Plants aren't that mechanical - native strains
evolve, etc. it becomes a real nightmare to try to get this too mechanized)
- NATIVE HABITAT (this helps to understand the plant's genetic needs re
climate, soil, etc.)
- DESCRIPTION (this is mostly stuff needed for ornamental use. Because a
lot of this is descriptive this information does not easily fit into normal
databases. It would be really neat to be able to search each field for the
criteria used in the database search)
- TYPE OF PLANT (i.e. broadleaf evergreen tree)
- NORMAL FULL HEIGHT (this varies greatly across the world, so depends
on region)
- NORMAL FULL SPREAD (ditto)
- RATE OF GROWTH (ditto)
- FORM (ditto)
- BRANCHING PATTERN (helps with I.D and plant choice for all kinds of
purposes (looking for a shade tree? strong scafffold for vines? windbreak?)
- maybe it's the same as "form", in any case it's descriptive)
- TRUNK DESCRIPTION (mostly ornamental)
- BARK COLOUR (ditto)
- BARK DESCRIPTION (ditto)
- FOLIAGE: SPRING COLOUR (ditto)
- FOLIAGE: SUMMER COLOUR (ditto)
- FOLIAGE : FALL COLOUR (ditto)
- FOLIAGE: WINTER COLOUR (ditto)
- FOLIAGE DESCRIPTION (ditto)
- FLOWER: TIME (important for all kinds of purposes)
- FLOWER: COLOUR
- FLOWER : DESCRIPTION
- FRUIT: TIME (important for all kinds of purposes)
- FRUIT: COLOUR
- FRUIT: DESCRIPTION
- BUDS DESCRIPTION
-

TOLERANCE LEVELS TO CULTURAL CONDITIONS (i.e. high, medium and low
tolerance to specific conditions such as high clay content, etc. - see
following. This has worked better for me in the past than normal
classifications)
- High Clay Content
- High Sand Content
- Loam
- Low Mineral Fertility
- Low Organic Matter
- Soil Salinity
- pH Range
- Shallow Soil
- Poor Drainage WINTER
- Drought WINTER
- Poor Drainage SUMMER
- Drought SUMMER
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Full Shade
- Hot Summers
- Cool Summers
- Mild Winters
- Cold Winter WITHOUT Snow Cover
- Cold Winter WITH Snow Cover
- USDA Hardiness Zone
- Lowest Temperature Tolerance
- Wind
- Snow Load
- Seaside Conditions
- COMMON PROBLEMS
- PROPAGATION
- SYNERGISTIC PLANTS Botanical name: Common Name:
- ANTAGONISTIC PLANTS Botanical name: Common Name:
-

VALUABLE FEATURES
- Ornamental
- Food / Human