permaculture - [permaculture] Project: Changing the Face of Farming | RocketHub

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Project: Changing the Face of Farming | RocketHub
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 14:19:39 -0500

[Rafter's project]

Project: Changing the Face of Farming | RocketHub
http://www.rockethub.com/projects/11800-changing-the-face-of-farming

*THE BIG PICTURE
*It's 2012. *10,000* years since we started domesticating plants.
*3000*years since we invented the plow. And
*70* years since the rollout of what we now call ‘industrial agriculture,’
with it’s intensive use of chemicals, fossil fuels, and irrigation.

And today, agriculture does more damage to the environment than any other
human activity: biodiversity loss, soil erosion, greenhouse gas emissions,
and pollution. *This is the face of modern farming. *

*We need to change that.* The question is: how?

*Permaculture* is one proposal for a different approach. It’s a
fast-growing international movement with projects on every inhabited
continent. The idea is that if we thoughtfully design our farms to fit the
landscape, and intensively use biological resources in place of industrial
technology, then we can grow our food in ways that *build
ecosystems*instead of destroying them. Imagine a world in which all
farms create
habitat, build topsoil, sequester greenhouse gasses, and clean the air and
water. It’s a beautiful vision.

  • [permaculture] Project: Changing the Face of Farming | RocketHub, Lawrence London, 11/19/2012