permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE website I have located my old permaculture wiki.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thanks to Miekal's Dreamtime Village - PERMACULTURE website I have located my old permaculture wiki.
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:00:35 -0500

On 11/24/2012 6:59 AM, Chris Watkins wrote:
Hi Lawrence - thanks for sharing this, and making the PCWiki accessible
again. I've added this to Appropedia's * Permaculture
wiki<http://www.appropedia.org/Permaculture_wiki>
*page.

Thanks for adding it to to list of pc wikis. I was surprised to find it accessable. I was thinking that any pages of value there could be extracted and incorporated into the permaculture.info wiki rather than continuing to access pages that are static and can not be edited, i.e.
put them where contributors can add to and change them. Where very similar pages exist in both wikis then the best of each could be used to create a new one for permaculture.info. The ones I had in mind are;
Under Permaculture Knowledgebase you have the main Permaculture page
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/Permaculture
Permaculture
Designing sustainable human communities by following nature's patterns

What is "permaculture"?

Some Definition?s

PermacultureEthics?

Earthcare?
Peoplecare?
Fairshares?

PermaculturePrinciples?

Work with nature, not against?
Everything gardens?
Hierarchy of interventions?
Everything cycles?
See solutions, not problems?
Every element serves many functions?
Every function is performed by many elements?

Yield is theoretically unlimited?
Edge?
Stacking?
Succession?

PermacultureDesign?

DesignMethodology?
SADIM? (Survey, Assess, Design, Implement, Maintain)
ZonesAndSectors?
ReadingYourLand?

If you follow many of the active links out you will find a lot of interesting reading. Would it be worthwhile my asking ibiblio to provide a Wikidump of this entire wiki and the Agriculture Wiki also?
They could send you copies of these.

This page should be useful for wiki contributors:

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/pcwiki/index.php/DiscussWikiDesignIdeas
DiscussWikiDesignIdeas

Designing The Permaculture Wiki

How do we design this Permaculture Wiki to be an effective and useful resource for the international permaculture community?

How should it be structured?

How do we publicise (or market) it to the wider permaculture community?

How do we get people to join in and make it work?

How will we deal with issues such as vandalism or ensuring consensus?

Add your comments and suggestions here!

1. Recommend we have a "Glossary". As term difinitions are added they are linked to in the glossary (for example: engineered wetlands, guilds, catchments, watershed, n-fixers, etc).

2. Perhaps each page which is a term that requires a definition should get a first section with "Description", after which other items like "Examples" or "Related Information"...

3. If it is our goal that we are outreaching to folks perhaps unfamiliar with PC we should at least from the starting page, try to give an overview, and as someone clicks through, they can guide themselves to more detailed information. Of course part of what makes wikis nice is the compete interlinking possible, but we should start perhaps from a slightly ordered fashion. Thus, say we want to start from 10 main areas...what are they?

(mIEKAL here) While I agree that it might be nice to formalize a design tree, to me the beauty of a wiki is that it organizes itself as you use the information. Personally Im not interested in another version of the Designer's manual because that info already exists as such. My interests are about personal input from as many users as possible about the topics, observations, ideas that are closest to them. Information with a spin on it. Original, unique, idiosyncratic.

Quick update on Appropedia - the site was mostly down for a couple of days
recently. Lonny Grafman put in a huge amount of time bringing it back, with
help from a couple of other volunteers. So it's all running okay again, but
we haven't yet got as far as importing the permaculture.info database. I'll
keep talking with the volunteers and see when we can get that happening!

Scott should be interested in this.