permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion - cont.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to Feed 9 Billion - cont.
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:57:24 -0500

On 11/23/2012 1:51 PM, Steve Hart wrote:

The other question is how many of that 9 billion are morons who form the
queues of the dumb ignorant and brainwashed lining up to kiss the feet of
an ever increasing array of evangelists and drinking plasticised water with
all forms of controlling chemicals in, and, eating synthetic food. There is
one argument that suggests that only the gifted and intelligent will
survive another suggests that the meeek will inherit the earth. Then there

is "HARRP " perhaps the illuminati are working on another great plague.

HAARP (High-Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) is a damnable weapon of mass destruction (invented by Bernard Eastlund: USP # 4,686,605 ~ # 5,38,664 ) that contravenes the United Nations "Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques" (approved in December 1976). The treaty prohibits "the use of techniques that would have widespread, long-lasting or severe effects through deliberate manipulation of natural processes and cause such phenomena as earthquakes, tidal waves, and changes in climate and weather patterns". The US government openly advertises its intentions in the publication "Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025" by Col. T. House, et al. (August 1996) . The report acknowledges that, "The difficulty, cost and risk of developing a weather control system for military applications [is] extremely high". It justifies the effort, however, with the rationale (according to Dr Arnold Barnes, who consulted in the study) that the "opportunities to capitalize on investment militarily [are] medium/high" and the "political implications/health hazards medium/low". (www.au.af.mil.au/2025/volume3/chap15/v3c15-1.htm )

Such military programs also violate the National Environmental Protection Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 4331a), the policy of which is to "create and maintain conditions under which man and nature can exist in productive harmony."

Awareness is a great thing but we also need to be growing our own and have
a full kitchen garden with bursting zone 1s & 2s along with that cellar of
course, while we are continually educating the unlearned...

That is the number one thing we need to be doing and following that fully support local food networks. I have described before a national product and services production, marketing and distribution inter-nodal network using the Web and off-the-shelf free apps comprised of the smallest elements, homesteads to communities or neighborhoods to villages to cities to counties to states to biogeographical regions to the entire nation then to inter country exchange. A proposed network could be mapped out and described to show how well such a system could serve millions of people. Billions maybe. Combine this with Sepp's proposed system. And for those who use tractors to grow crops, use my proven system: 1) *Tractor: 70 horsepower; Implements to be used, width specific, * = must-have: 2) large cat2 subsoiler, 3) *3-shank Yeomans plow(s) cat2 toolbar, deep and shallow tillage and maintenance, 4) heavy duty long shank spring tooth field cultivator (instead of a disc harrow) 5) *60 inch Howard Rotavator, pto rototiller 6) Roll-A-Cone Hiller Bedder on 8' cat2 double toolbar with 4 26' discs, two per side, one mounted on the forward toolbar, one on the rear, 4 chisel shanks mounted on the front toolbar between the two 26" discs, two light duty subsoilers mounted on the rear toolbar between the two 26" discs. This is the most effective tillage and raised bed forming system for heavy or clay soils (marginal farmland shouldn't be worked anyway except for small gardens until permaculture systems have been installed and allowed to improve the land during a twenty year or greater period) I have run across. No stones are left unturned, it does everything you might need. Use 1) plus 2) 3) and 4) first then apply soil amendments then use 1) plus 5) and 6). This procedure could only be performed once in a farm's lifetime with minimum or no till agriculture performed using hand tools to follow. If a greater farming or homesteading community were to invest in one unit of this equipment array and share it between themselves think of the benefit to all. Goal, put large numbers of people to work using hand tools growing crops using minimum till methods or even the Fukuoka Natural Farming way.
Here are pictures of the equipment described above:

The hand tools:
https://plus.google.com/b/116100117925365792988/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5706561605935598161

The tractor and implements:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/TractorEquipment
Fields early on before use of final configuration of tooling on the hiller-bedder; these beds are tall and narrow on top; later they were
shorter and much wider, flat on top with little or no ridges - 4 chisel shanks in front and two small subsoilers in rear accomplished this major improvement in bed formation.

This is the field cultivator mentioned above:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/bottomplow-tillagetool-YeomansPlowToolbar.jpg
It is an old, very heavy duty, Italian-made seven tine spring tooth cultivator; just the right width to function in synq with the other implements, i.e. about 60" width, just covering the actual bed and not interfering with the adjoining ditches/paths.

Piles of quarry rock dust:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/IG5W0261.JPG

Many low-res pics of the equipment, fields and raised beds:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/
Samples, JD in field forming a bed:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/hilling-bedding3.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/hilling-bedding2.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/hilling-bedding1.jpg
Yeomans in use:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/Yeomans-in-use.jpg
Crop:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1637.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1636.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1635.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1634.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-18-06_1734.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-18-06_1735.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-18-06_1732.jpg

This shows the grid of raised beds with cross-beds used to control erosion and distribute runoff usefully:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1622.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1621.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1620.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1632.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1628.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1626.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1624.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1623.jpg

Raised beds:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1731.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1810.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1728.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-17-06_1617.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-15-06_1721.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-15-06_1655.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-15-06_1653.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/07-28-06_1658.jpg

See the erosion factor:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-09-06_1705.jpg

Beds in a curve down a slope:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/raisedbeds9.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/raisedbeds7.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/raisedbeds20.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1758.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1757.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1756.jpg

Erosion control with beds 90 degrees to one another
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1723.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1721.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/raisedbeds12.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1725.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1726.jpg
Wedge-shaped groups of beds & erosion control:
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1800.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1759.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-08-06_1755.jpg

Raised beds on a grid with erosion control cross-beds terminated by field-length long beds for final runoff overflow chanelling
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1759.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1809.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1806.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1744.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1805.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1800.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1751.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/venaurafarm/raisedbeds/09-02-06_1750.jpg
The cross beds were installed every 40 feet, segmenting the entire field which is on a medium grade

and rid our movement of the Evangelists, self appointed Princes and Gurus.

I agree completely. I really don't like the negative publicity and false impression of permaculture generated by those teaching how to become rich through permaculture to the exclusion of much more important elements of eduction for practitioners and professionals. We need to avoid a new generation of lawsuit happy permaculture used car salesmen, slugging it out in the public marketplace promoting their "brands" (never heard that term used in the context of real permaculture) defying anyone to criticize their marketing campaigns upon thread of lawsuit by their battery of lawyers. This has happened; I recently heard about one forcing people who posted "unfavorable comments about their commercial activities" to a public web forum to recant, withdraw comments or whatever suited their ego-driven anti-permaculture money madness. This is not permaculture which is not a religion, but a lens through which you can experience a brighter, more enhanced, broader and deeper view of the world and a guide to living in harmony with nature and with Earth's inhabitants. You can make all the money you want; that's a non-issue; its how you do it and what you do with that money that sends the message to the public, that tells them what permaculture is all about, whether it be negative or positive.

Steve Hart

Thanks for you excellent work and input to this forum, Steve; much appreciated; I am sure many others do also.

LL