permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:50:07 -0400

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Daniel Jager <dfjager@yahoo.com> wrote:

> True, the products of *natural* hydroponics, seafood and sea vegetables,
> give the best nutrition to man. Why not stick with that instead of trying
> all these artificial things. No matter how hard you try, the whole of the
> ocean is infinitely more complex than the best aquaponics design you can
> ever create. So why bother.

Because this system and the food it produces is only available to a limited
number of global inhabitants. We need to feed the world. Most people will
be glad to get
any fish/fruit/vegetables/herbs grown in a non-artificial-chemical-gmo ag
situation, one that is local to them and provides fresh clean nutritious
food, grown by people they know of and get to know as customers.

Most people will happily settle for locally soil OR aquaponics-grown foods,
in season and a relatively limited selection of them. Look at CSA's and the
traditional Japanese macrobiotic diet and that of raw food vegans.

Fish and seaweed have escalated in price over recent years. Prices have
inflated according to the law of supply and demand. It has become boutique
food for well heeled folks.
Try buying a bag of Maine/Nova Scotia sea vegetable, DULSE. Price is out of
sight. You can buy many typical seaweeds from Asian stores and much of it
is very good. Some stores are selective about where they source them for
quality and purity. Japan produces some of the best but one highly
productive area was destroyed during the earthquake and tsunami. What a
loss.