permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KAKerby@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 21:55:27 -0400 (EDT)

No worries. I have been on this list for a little while now, mostly as a
lurker, just reading and wondering if I'd ever have much to contribute. I
have been a fan of permaculture ever since finding Mollison's book in a
used book store. I brought it home, started thumbing through it, and ended
up
devouring it like some long lost literary treasure. It all just made so
much sense. Read more as I could find it, subscribed to Permaculture
magazine for awhile, and I've tried to find ways to keep tabs on what was
going
on in various permaculture circles even though I was usually on the outside
looking in. I had the same reaction when I read through my first
aquaponics information. We have only started to dabble in permaculture
here, and
we've not done nearly as much as I'd like with aquaponics either for that
matter. But there's just so much potential for each, and conventional ag is
so very diseased on so very many levels, surely there is some common ground
there to work with.

As for the writing, you can send your thanks to the various editors I've
had over the years, in various stints as a writer for this-or-that
publication. I did environmental writing for several years, newspaper
writing for
several years, and advocacy writing in between for various issues. Some of
you may recall an article about keeping rabbits in colony housing a number
of years ago in a permaculture magazine. Yep, that was me. I've been
doing writing like that for nearly 25 years. And I've had lots of very
sharp
editors, who would very quickly take me to task for any statement made which
I couldn't back up, or explain to a wide range of audiences with different
levels of education and understanding. So all those moments of being
scolded to "keep it simple, keep it straightforward, talk to your audience
but
not at them" - that's all from those marvelous editors who kept me at my
desk late into the night until I got it right. With me cursing them under
my
breath the whole time. I trust the Universe will somehow give them the
message that yes, I did eventually learn at least some of what they were
trying to teach me. Still working on the rest. Aren't we all?
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 10/9/2012 5:02:04 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,